We continue to fail
We continue to fail decent moral standards
We fly our flags at half staff and mourn
Yet support the trigger
We scream loudly but do nothing in silence
We point to each other with blame
As bullets continue to fly
As bodies continue to drop
As futures continue to disappear
And as the sun rises tomorrow
Today will be a memory most of us forget
But some of us will forever remember
Because a heart felt close is gone
Because the sound of life being taken is deafening
But the rest of us will rest a while
Until another day arrives
To remind us all
How we continue to fail
Try to remember:
“Widen Your Gaze”
To look for the good
To better your days
To keep looking up
To admire be stars
To SEE us in others
And the MAGIC we are
Between your ears, resides a place
A place where demons come to play
To pull you in to the abyss
Where only darkness seems to exist
In this darkness the voice speaks loud
Curses the light, invites in clouds
It brings in guilt, applauds the shame
Makes you feel small, calls you by name
There are many places you’ll try to hide
From this voice that lives inside
You’ll try to run away from this place
The place where demons come to play
And sometimes “friends” will come to your aid
Only to turn on you the next day
Leaving you there to pick yourself up
With empty bottles and a half poured cup
What if I told you it’s not real
How that voice tries to make you feel
What if I told you, demons die
When you look them right in the eyes
What if I told you in that place
There is a soul, it has your face
What if I told you, you possess
the power to bring this voice to rest
What I am telling you is true
The light is waiting to find you
No need to hide or run away
Open your eyes, turn night to day
So in this place, between your ears
There are no demons for you to fear
They are not real, they are not you
What that voice says is all untrue.
But if you dive and find yourself there
Breathe in courage, breathe out despair
Open your eyes, you’ll see the light
You’ll see your soul, your heart, your might.
Love yourself and go to war
With all the things invading your shores
Fight for your heart, fight for your life
Fight for the gift of being alive.
I, like most of you, have been fortunate enough to be born in a country and situation of stability. I have never heard the sounds of bombs dropping from the sky, I have never seen bodies blown to pieces, I have never watched a child deliriously cry after being pulled out of rubble and learning their parents have died. I have never had to worry about starvation. I have never had to worry about a mob of men raping me. I have never had to surrender my life to hopelessness. This is all because I was fortunate enough to be born in a place other than Aleppo, Syria. A place other than South Sudan. A place other than Yemen. A place other than Burundi. A place other than many other places in this world. Humanity’s shadow side is incredibly dark. However, the biggest disappointment is the complacency of those of us so far removed from the situation. The self-consumed attitude. As if what is happening over the Atlantic will never arrive at our door. As if we don’t have the foundations to birth a place of viable instability. As if we don’t have a responsibility to our fellow human beings. WTF humanity?!WTF?! “The world has always been on fire.” But that is because complacency has kept us all from believing we hold the bucket of water needed to extinguish it.
Even if you won’t confess
Not all is clear
Your mind’s a mess
This I know
See, mine is too
No need to mask
What’s really you
Because what’s honest
And what is real
Close your eyes to help you see
What lives in you
Lives in me
10 things I have learned since November 12th, 2016…
10. “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.” Robert A. Heinlein
9. Most people listen with the intent to reply, not to understand.
8. A divided people are easier to distract.
7. Fear is the driver, picking up hate and making it its passenger.
6. The media is very well educated in psychology.
5. It is easier to throw responsibility into destruction, than to take responsibility into construction.
4. Hindsight is 20/20 with a major case of amnesia.
3. History is bias, as is opinion.
2. Love lives. Compassion lives.
But we only call for it when fear arrives and hate steps out of that passenger seat.
1. No need to “save” the planet. Save each other, because in saving each other, we will save our home. If we don’t, the Earth is alive and it will heal itself…but as far as humanity? “We’re going away. Pack your shit, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.” -George Carlin
I am sorry child, I have brought you here
I know this place is scary
It seems it’s filled with so much hate
A burden for you to carry
I’ll hold your hand
To let you know
The world is good and kind
Do not let shadows
Scare your heart
Begin with the love inside
And when the world
Begins to weep
Let your light shine through
For a better world
Where love may live
Will also begin with you