We continue to fail
We continue to fail decent moral standards
We fly our flags at half staff and mourn
Yet support the trigger
We scream loudly but do nothing in silence
We point to each other with blame
As bullets continue to fly
As bodies continue to drop
As futures continue to disappear
And as the sun rises tomorrow
Today will be a memory most of us forget
But some of us will forever remember
Because a heart felt close is gone
Because the sound of life being taken is deafening
But the rest of us will rest a while
Until another day arrives
To remind us all
How we continue to fail
I am not here to teach you
Life will do that
I am not here to judge you
You will do that
I am not here to take from you
You will give that
I am here to see myself
In parts of you I discover
I am here to find myself
In parts of you I do not understand
I am here to heal myself
In parts of you I do not accept
You are not here to teach me
Life will do that
You are not here to judge me
I will do that
You are not here to take from me
I will give that
You are here to see yourself
In parts of me you discover
You are here to find yourself
In parts of me you do not understand
You are here to heal yourself
In parts of me you don’t accept
I, like most of you, have been fortunate enough to be born in a country and situation of stability. I have never heard the sounds of bombs dropping from the sky, I have never seen bodies blown to pieces, I have never watched a child deliriously cry after being pulled out of rubble and learning their parents have died. I have never had to worry about starvation. I have never had to worry about a mob of men raping me. I have never had to surrender my life to hopelessness. This is all because I was fortunate enough to be born in a place other than Aleppo, Syria. A place other than South Sudan. A place other than Yemen. A place other than Burundi. A place other than many other places in this world. Humanity’s shadow side is incredibly dark. However, the biggest disappointment is the complacency of those of us so far removed from the situation. The self-consumed attitude. As if what is happening over the Atlantic will never arrive at our door. As if we don’t have the foundations to birth a place of viable instability. As if we don’t have a responsibility to our fellow human beings. WTF humanity?!WTF?! “The world has always been on fire.” But that is because complacency has kept us all from believing we hold the bucket of water needed to extinguish it.
10 things I have learned since November 12th, 2016…
10. “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.” Robert A. Heinlein
9. Most people listen with the intent to reply, not to understand.
8. A divided people are easier to distract.
7. Fear is the driver, picking up hate and making it its passenger.
6. The media is very well educated in psychology.
5. It is easier to throw responsibility into destruction, than to take responsibility into construction.
4. Hindsight is 20/20 with a major case of amnesia.
3. History is bias, as is opinion.
2. Love lives. Compassion lives.
But we only call for it when fear arrives and hate steps out of that passenger seat.
1. No need to “save” the planet. Save each other, because in saving each other, we will save our home. If we don’t, the Earth is alive and it will heal itself…but as far as humanity? “We’re going away. Pack your shit, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.” -George Carlin